Do you have lower back pain and have tried everything, but still got no relief? Have you read newspaper articles that have given curl ups and twists for lower back pain and ended up in even worse pain?
Lower back pain is endemic in our society (it is estimated that 80% of all adults will suffer at least one episode of “severe” lower back pain in their lifetime (the true figure could be closer to 100%). Well our sedentary lifestyle, posture and limited movement patterns all contribute.
Well below I have listed 7 Pilates based exercises that in my experience have really helped clients. Remember always work with awareness and listen to your body.
- Pelvic Tilts (1 minute)
- Knee Folds (2 minutes)
- Swimming from Kneeling (1 minute)
- Side Bend/lateral lift (3 reps on each side)
- Shoulder Bridge (10 reps)
- Supine Hamstring Stretch with Belt (hold for minimum of 1 minute)
- Kneeling Hip Flexor Stretch (hold for minimum of 1 minute)
Really important is to remember what NOT to do when you have back pain. Avoid forward flexion, straight leg lifts and all twists.